3.29.2012

Healthy Grilling

I don't know about any of you, but when the temperature gets 60 degrees or higher around my house the grill comes out and it doesn't go back in the garage until November! We are such a HUGE cookout family! We've only been cooking out for a couple of weeks and I'm already seeing a pattern that is NOT going to be good for my diet plan, so I asked my great friends from www.myfitnesspal.com to share their favorite healthy grill recipes! I hope you enjoy! They sound delicious!

chelswatts3 "My favorite would be kabobs on the grill, an easy way to eat meat and veggies in a fun way that looks appetizing. I use pineapple, tomatoes, bell pepper, onions and chicken. Easily slide a few pieces of each one on and you have a delicious looking meal!! Great for cookouts too ;) eat with salad or and side dish!"


deniselsmith "Portabella Caps on the Grill with a tiny bit of olive oil, garlic powder, topped with Feta Cheese! YUM!"


smallfishbigcampus "Chicken marinaded in a pineapple and lemon juice with a splash of bourbon!!! Throw it on the grill until its done and YUMMMY." (You can also visit Ashley here, she's a blogger!)


AND DON'T FORGET DESSERT! I'm dying to try this one! 


BrittHann Ingredients: Olive oil (for rubbing on the grill so the fruit won't stick - be careful about aerosol spray oils, they're flammable)
6 pieces of stone fruits (peaches, nectarines, plums - do a mix)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (splurge and get the good stuff, it makes a difference)
1 small peeled chunk of ginger root
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1/4 teaspoon pink pepper (if you don't have this or don't want to get it, just double the black pepper)
Juice of 1 lemon 


"Heat the grill to high and oil it. Cut each piece of fruit in half and remove the pits and place them cut-side down on the grill. Cook them about 3-4 minutes, until they've softened and have good grill marks. Throw the rest of the ingredients in to a grill-safe pot and put it directly on the grill. It will heat up quickly and thicken. When it's thick enough to coat a spoon, it's ready. Toss the ginger root out.
Plate the fruit and pour the glaze over it. It's good served with vanilla ice cream, and I particularly like Rice Dream rice milk ice cream."




Thank you ladies, again, for these awesome recipes! 

You can visit any of these ladies at My Fitness Pal! They are all great motivators! 

If you have a recipe you'd like to share I'd LOVE to hear it! It's going to be a LONG summer around the pool and grill! 


1 comment :

  1. Hmmm, I can imagine in my mind how your friends' favorite grilled recipes look like, and I can already feel my mouth salivating! No wonder many fitness buffs love healthy grilled food! By grilling the food, you get rid of the fat and still retain the flavor and tenderness of the food. As for the recipe, I would choose the white meat of chicken or fish in classic Southern BBQ sauce.


    Joseph Carr

    ReplyDelete