3.17.2012

Ain't Gonna Paint No More!

Although I did this activity a while back I thought I'd share anyway because it has been one of my favorites!

In my 2D-3D Elementary Art class we read the book Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen Beaumont and I absolutely adored it! At the time I was working as the lead School Age teach at a child development center and Wednesday was our Art Club day. The first thing I did was read the book to the children. Note: I had children age 5 - 10. This book was perfect because it was hilarious, so it kept my older kids interested, and it included prediction and rhyming which held my younger kids' attention.

After the book was over I told the kids we were going to create our own Ain't Gonna Paint No More! boy. luckily I had a small enough number of kids to assign a body part to each child. (I think it was 11?) Anyway the kids had a BLAST decorating their body parts. I gave each a plain piece of computer paper and they went to town!!

We then assembled the body on our wall to make one unit! It looked hilarious, of course, because the arms end up two different sizes as well as the legs and hands... etc.

What I loved most about this activity is that it not only includes literature and art, it incorporates science (anatomy specifically) and it requires teamwork! I loved it hanging in our room because it was something we all had to do together and without one part it just wouldn't have been right! :)

I feel like this could be a fun way to lead into a science unit on the body! Anyway you use it I think the kids will LOVE it -- mine did!

I did take one picture of the finished project even though I wasn't blogging at the time!

Thank you Miss Taylor for the fun letters! :) 

We had a blast doing this! Please share pictures if you do it! I'd love to see how it would work in a large classroom! 

1 comment :

  1. Can't wait to do this in April with my kindergarten students. Way to go baby girl!

    ReplyDelete