3.26.2012

My Safe Haven

As promised, I'm finally blogging about my trip to my grandparents' farm!

I don't know about you guys but sometimes life with the cell phones, internet, blogs, facebook, e-mail, etc. just really messed with me. I feel like I am constantly distracted on something and can't just relax and focus on life. When I get to this point the only place I want to be is on my grandparents' farm -- No cell service or internet! Before I show you my pictures we took on our hike I just want to explain to you the kind of amazing people I'm talking about.

My grandpa, Jim, is a preacher, and quite frankly one of the most Godly men I've ever met in my life. My grandma, Betty, is nothing short of an angel here on Earth. I know everyone says that their grandparent's are the sweetest, best people on Earth, but I really do believe that -- anyone that's ever met them would probably argue the same.

Just the thought of me bragging this much on them would probably send them in to a tizzy, because they wouldn't approve of themselves getting the glory, they would give it God instead. I am in no way taking the glory from God because I know that it is through Him that they are the people they are, but what diligence and will it takes for them to be the way they are and live the way they do.

I have never seen my grandparents turn away someone in need, when at many times in their life they didn't have it. Matter of fact, we spent the evening around a fire in the backyard while Grandpa told my cousin, Mom, and I about a time when he had nothing and a man asked him for some money to buy his family breakfast at McDonalds. Grandpa, of course, gave him the money even though he didn't have it to give... anyway the story ends with my Grandpa seeing the man take the breakfast to his family and spread it out over the hood of his car. But what amazed me about the conversation and continues to amaze me about my Grandpa was that he wasn't telling us this story to brag or to boast on himself. He told this story with tears in his eyes to teach us, as younger people, to do the work of the Lord. If we do the Lord's will, we will be rewarded for it.

As I walked that day with my grandparents through their farm that I've grown to love so, so much I found myself in tears several times. There are so many things that I haven't got to learn from them. There are so many things that I've missed out on living so far away from them. There are so many things that those around them take for granted.

I honestly hope that I can be HALF the person each of them are.

Now that I've got that out (whew crying) ... here's the pictures from my hike on the farm!





Seriously... how could you not be at peace!?






The crew minus Grandma! (L to R) Momma, Grandpa, and cousin! 

The cabin that sits on the farm.

My beautiful Momma! 

Little shot from the top of the mountain/hill. So beautiful! 

My little friend I found! 


Deer bed! (Redneck coming out in me!)



Yes, I did drink out of that pipe and, yes, it was the best water I've ever drank! 

And here are a few shots for giggles I found while going through Grandma's photo albums! 
My twin brother and I probably around 3? :) 

Dustin the big game hunter! Haha!

Anywho, I know I've rambled on about my grandparents and how amazing they are, but I have to share just one more thing. This video was taken at my cousin's wedding this past fall. They played a game with all the married couples and the ones who had been married the shortest amount of time sat down and the pattern continued until the couple who had been married the longest was left standing. Well, guess who it was? :) They got to share a dance with one another and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. I can only hope that one day this is me and my husband. I want to be able to dance with him, with my family surrounding me, trying to "remember when" and dance steps from the past. I hope you enjoy it. 





Yeah :'(

This has probably been my favorite post to date. I hope you all enjoyed it as well. I'm started to get comments from other bloggers and I love it so much! I'm really hoping to get some more followers in the week to come and start upping my views, so if any of you have any thoughts or ideas of how to get my blog out there, please let me know! 

Thanks for reading! :) 

3 comments :

  1. You have a wonderful opportunity to learn from these wonderful examples. Love that you love them so much and can take your safe haven where I grew up. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, first of all, I love your blog and I read it religiously (and you motivated me to download My Fitness Pal, EEpling89, add me!). Second, I LOVE this post! Your grandparents' dance was absolutely one of my favorite moments from our wedding and something I will never forget. I don't have any grandparents still living, so I am honored to call Jim and Betty (and you and everyone else!) family. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Elizabeth! I'm so glad you did that at your wedding! I needed to see that moment to appreciate my grandparents more! And THANK YOU for reading my blog! I'm trying to get a bigger following so that means a lot!

    ReplyDelete