3.14.2012

Ms. Casey's Carnival!

I presented my "First Day of School" project today! It was so fun and went really well! I'm excited to finally share pictures! My theme was Ms. Casey's Carnival and my grade level was first grade.

We had to make a fun door design following our theme! 
I decided on "Come One, Come All, to Ms. Casey's Carnival". I had to create material for 5 students. My students' name were on the pennants at the top of the door. I swooped different colored ribbons from the middle to the corner to give the door a carnival tent feel. I also added balloons and some fun carnival stickers for a little extra pizzaz. 

This was an inside view of my student packets. Each child got a name tag that was a carnival ticket with their name, our room number, my name, and either their pick-up or bus number. The picture you see was their bell-ringer/get to know each other activity. I told the students to decorate their face and add a face painting that told me something about themselves. These would later be hung on our front door. I also included a pack of 5 tickets. Each students will get 5 tickets at the beginning of each week. If behavior was good all week they could turn in the tickets and participate in "Fun Friday".  I also included a letter to the parents, a copy of my classroom rule and procedures, and a contract for the parents, child, and myself to sign saying they have read over all the rules and procedures. 

Here is a closer look at the name tags.

We also had to create an attendance/lunch count chart. I decided to do a concession stand feel to go along with our carnival theme. Each child was given a colorful clothes pin with his/her name on it.

We also had to create a rules chart. I have an EXTREME fear of clowns, so I decided to do my rules as a "No Clowning Around" aspect. I explained to the students that Ms. Casey does not like clowns at all, so this could be a good way to remember to follow the rules. 

It was so much fun even though I was a nervous wreck trying to get the door decorated in between work and class. Let me know what you think and any feedback you may have! Feel free to give me tips on how to improve and expand on my theme! I may be using this in a couple years! 

2 comments :

  1. Casey -Your blog is so cute and I love your dedication to desire to teach. You will make a great teacher someday. I teach first - come visit if you want some ideas to use in your classroom someday. I love learning from others and sharing my ideas too. :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I actually looked at your blog before I saw this comment! I am at a friend's house who is also in education and we were "oo-ing and aww-ing" at your blog! I want to teach first grade, but, of course, will take whatever I am offered at first! When I saw your about me that said you were a Christian, mommy, wife, and teacher I instantly wanted to comment to you. While I am already a Christian and (almost) a teacher my other two goals in life are to be a great wife and mommy. I will be checking on your blog a lot! You seem to really be something I aspire to be like. Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete