4.16.2012

Turning the Cheek

I haven't blogged in a few days, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been keeping up on all of your lives!

Since I last posted I've been trying so hard to finish school before school is out -- if that makes any sense.

I spent Friday evening with my Mom at my alma mater! Our softball team is crazy good this year, so I had to go watch. They really were amazing! Go Pioneers!

Saturday I spent the ENTIRE day doing school work. I have this week and next before finals and I would LOVE to finish with most of my classes before them. I have several portfolios to finish, so if I can get those done I'll only have 3 final exams and this 20 hour semester will be under my belt!

Saturday night was a MUCH needed girls night at my best friend's house. We laughed, gossiped, and played a little sing star.

Sunday was my relaxation day. I stayed out in the sun until my forehead was burnt and it was glorious. It almost felt like summer... except when I had to go inside and finish homework. Buzz kill.

Today was a Monday for sure, but one theme has been on my mind -- Turning the Other Cheek.

This really hasn't been all that hard for me because I rarely ever stand up for myself, but its more of a "turn my entire body and let you walk all over me" type deal rather than just turning the cheek. What I want to work at is turning my cheek gracefully and feeling proud of myself for doing it after. I finally was able to do this last night after a little pep talk from my boyfriend reminding me of the person I am and the young woman I want to be perceived as.

Girls have the most evil mindset. All girls. Some just have the strength not to use it and be respectful human being and others don't. That's why girls can see when other girls are being vicious when guys may not realize it. (Then we get called crazy). I've learned to control my evil mindset because I do not want to be considered an evil or mean-hearted person, but I can still recognize that evil-ness when it's being directed at me. What I'm trying to learn is how to gracefully turn the cheek.

Matthew 5:38-39 says, "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smith thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

So, I understand about turning the cheek, but what I need to know is how do you feel proud of yourself afterwards?

In my most recent situation I turned the cheek, but I still feel like I've been bullied/picked on/lost. I feel good about myself in the fact that I didn't react to it, but I still feel like I didn't stand up for myself.

At the end of the day I just need to look at my life and how truly blessed I am. I have the most amazing boyfriend, family, and friends that love me more than life. I am blessed with health not only for myself but my entire family. I have a forgiving God who loves me unconditionally, if only I could turn my cheek as gracefully as He did.

If you have advice/similar stories I'd love to hear them. The 18 year old me would have been talking smack all over Facebook over this -- here's to growing up!


2 comments :

  1. I can definitely relate to your problem - it's hard to find balance in defending yourself and letting go of some things to be the bigger person. What I've learned to do I just say, 'Hey, what you're saying about me is completely inaccurate and I don't appreciate it. These are the facts (explain the truth to the person), and I'd appreciate if you stick to that from now on.' And then just be done with it. This way, you've said your peace and defended yourself in a respectful, classy manner. The ultimate victory is resting in the knowledge that the people in your life know the measure of character you have and that no matter what anyone says, you're a good-hearted Christian girl with good morals and values.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, I needed to hear that! You've got great advice and I will put that to work if the opportunity arises again. Which I'm sure it wilL! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete