8.09.2012

Summer Reading List

This summer I made a goal for myself to read. I LOVE to read and had forgotten how much I loved it over the past few summers while I was working full time, so I decided to make myself a summer reading list and while I'm still working on the rest of the 30 I've manage to get almost 10 marked off the list and thought I'd share what I've been reading and my reviews on them! Heck, you're reading this so you must like to read somewhat... right? 


I started the summer reading Tim Tebow's book, Through my Eyes, and it was fantastic. This is definitely a book I would want my son to read one day. It's such a good mix of living a Godly life while also being that star athlete and balancing dedication to a worldly thing while God being the main goal. I loved it! 


I'm a sucker for a good romance book, but since Nicholas Sparks hasn't come out with a new book this summer I decided to get Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly's book, Gabby, after seeing a documentary on their relationship. After Gabby was shot at a political event Mark makes an account of their relationship throughout her rehabilitation. It was a beautiful book and a TRUE love story. 


Yes, I know I'm a little late, but I read the first book of the Hunger games (after seeing the movie and loving it). It rocked as everyone already knows. 


I finished this devotional, Lady in Waiting, which I have written about before. It is SUCH an amazing book especially for single young ladies. I mean every word of this book has a purpose and hits the nail right on the head. If you're a single Christian woman, read it. If you have a teen-ish daughter, buy her this book! I'm telling you it is WONDERFUL.


This book was one of those random books I bought for an English class. It is a memoir about a little girl from China who was adopted by an American couple and her journey afterwards to reconnect with her biological parents. It was interesting to me because I have a sweet little cousin who was adopted from China as well, but I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone to read. 


Thennnnn there was this book -- Yikes. This book literally scared me silly. While I believe this book makes you realize that hell is a real place, which I believe people, and Christians in particular, forget a lot, I feel there are some things written in this book that may cause a lot of confusion. Not a book I would recommend either. 


Then I read this piece of work. That's all I'll say about that. 


This book was FABULOUS! The storyline, the characters, everything. Such a need-to-tell story, but done in a way that everyone can enjoy it! Now I can finally watch the movie! 


I just got finished reading, Death at an Early Age, a couple days ago. I was given this book to read by a professor of mine. While it was a sad, but true story of the important and neglect of early education it was an older book filled with unnecessarily large words to make the author feel smart. (That's harsh, but how it came across to me.) I would, however, recommend my fellow teachers and soon to be teachers to read it to remind us the importance of our jobs!


I'm currently reading, The 5 Love Languages, recommended by my friend Lindsay. Although it is meant for married couples it is a great lesson for any person. It's all about strengthening your relationships and figuring out which love language your significant other speaks. I'm halfway through and I've already learned a lot! I recommend this to anyone, especially married couples! 

Well, summer is coming to an end and while I didn't get the entire list finished I got a few knocked out! Here's what's coming up next:

The Essential 55 by Ron Clark
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
Inside my Heart by Robin McGraw
Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney
And the Hunger Games and 50 Shades series

What's at the top of your reading lists? I'm always looking for a good book! 

1 comment :

  1. May I make a suggestion? Replace the 50 Shades books with Radical by David Platt. It will change your life and I'm not jokin. Other than the Bible, nothing has impacted me more than this book.

    ReplyDelete