10.29.2012

Character Traits

As mentioned in my previous post, last week we worked on character traits in our leveled reading groups. I thought I would share the lesson because the kids seemed to respond really well with it! 

This is a 3rd grade class, but I think it would work well with any grade! 

We have reading groups for 15 minutes Tuesday - Thursday and I see 3 different groups a day. 

Tuesday: 
I introduced each group's book for the week to them.
The books I used were Officer Buckle and Gloria, The Story of Ferdinand, Crysanthemum, and Elmer.

I got a FABULOUS character trait package from Amanda Nickerson. I used her inferring character traits by dialogue on the first day where my students and I read through the book and inferred the main character's character traits by what they said throughout the book. 

Wednesday: 
We went back through the book and used the second chart from Amanda's unit where we inferred character traits through the actions of the main characters. 

Thursday:
I created a vinn diagram sheet for the students to reflect on their own character traits, the traits of the main character, and traits they had in common. 



You can get this worksheet here!

Friday we got together as a whole group and made fall character trait mobiles to hang up in the room. 

We cut out a green circle and hung leaf colored shapes from it with each student's character trait hanging on them. I instructed the students to write "THEIR NAME's Character Traits" on the top of the green circle and we put their picture in the middle. 

They turned out great and once we hung them it made it look like autumn leaves were falling from the ceiling! 




We had so much fun learning about character traits! This week we are tackling author's purpose and writing autobiographies! WOO HOO! 

1 comment :