2.19.2013

Meanwhile... in 5th Grade

I thought I would be a super blogger during student teaching and blog about EVERY awesome lesson I taught... FAIL. 

We have been doing SO many fun things in the 5th grade over the past month, but I've only managed to take pictures of a few, so here's a short overview of some things we've been doing in Science!

Two weeks ago we learned about topographic maps, so on Friday the students designed their own mountains, created their own topographic maps from different layers, and then created a model from their maps out of Play Dough! I graded their maps using a rubric in which they had to label the peak and base of the mountain, show a steep side and a sloping side, and make sure the contour interval remained the same from one line to the next.

 The students got to tour to all of the groups and compare each model to its map!

The following week lead in to erosion, weathering, and deposition. We did some killer experiments using the FOSS Landforms kit for 5th and 6th grade and on Friday we broke in to pairs and each duo was either given the process of erosion, weathering, or deposition. I gave each team the task of simulating their process using whatever resources were available within the classroom and outside on the playground. My kids seriously BLEW MY MIND. Every pair came up with a different way to simulate their process, which was not what I expected. 

This team had the process of erosion, so they used water to pick up the material (grass blades) on the riverbank (Play Dough) and carried it away. FABULOUS.
Play Dough seemed to keep making an appearance in science, but it's such a fun resource and CHEAP!

I've learning to LOVE science. It always use to intimidate me so much, but you can be so hands on with it it's hard not to love! 

I hope you all are having a wonderful week so far! 

Goodnight and God Bless!




No comments :

Post a Comment